Wednesday, February 6, 2019

My favorite memories from January 2019.


Favorite Memories from January 2019: Of course my official retirement day was January 1st.  Retirement didn’t seem real until school started on the 3rd.   Within days I received a padded envelope with a folder in to.  It announced an almost all expense paid trip to Hawaii compliments of our kids.  I was teary and speechless.  I couldn’t imagine how that could have pulled that off and what a sacrifice it must have been for them to finance such an adventure. Laura has every detail taken care and I can’t wait!  The District honored me at board meeting on January 16th.  Kim Kenison gave a tribute based on my memories. Several bus drivers were there to support me.  Darrel, Dad, Mary, Kieth and Kent were there as well.  ALL the Mellors came down and brought a beautiful bouquet.  Bethany and the kids were there, too.  Only the Mellors weren’t able to go out to eat at Lisa’s Country Kitchen afterwards. 

Full participation in the church: Ben got home from his mission on January 4th!  Darrel and I picked him and Amy up at the airport on January 7th.  Janna flew in and brought Taylor for the winter semester at BYU.   She flew out the day Ben and Amy flew in.  Daniel became one of the first 11 year old deacons in January 6th and Bradley, Hayden and Caden were all made teachers at age 13 because of the new change in the Church’s youth program this month.  Anna and Angela advanced into the Mia Maids, too  Abby was given a limited use recommend this month and both she and Daniel attended the temple for the first time to do baptisms for the dead.  Darrel and I went through an endowment session as patrons on January 8th,  for the first time since the changes announced January 1st.  It was a rich, special experience.  Anything I have ever felt uncomfortable with or had a question about had been refined or removed. It was a beautiful, moving experience.  Our temple shift on the 4th was so busy that we had to add another session at the end to accommodate all the patrons that evening. I had two initiatory shifts that night, so I became very familiar with the changes there. We were able to experience the changes to the sealing ceremony on January 12th when we witnesses McKall Kenison sealed to Saxon Wayne Day.   All the new changes are equally inspired and meaningful. I’ve lived long enough to see three adjustments to the temple endowments.  Each one further refines the ordinance and invited a greater portion of the Spirit. 

I went with Linda to the Veteran’s Hospital while Lionel had surgery.  Doctors removed a swollen, enflamed gland in his neck.  It was a long day, but one I will always treasure.  I was glad I was there to support my good friends.  Lionel ended up needing to stay the night.  I was extra grateful to be there with Linda on the ride home. 

We’ve had three parties with our BYU grand kids since the first of the semester.  We went out to dinner for Amy’s birthday on January 10th.  Laura was down that day.  She came to buy a car for them to use until Ben is in a position to get his own.  They also hope to avoid paying for more flights to and from Seattle.  Then the kids came down on January 20th for an overnight visit.  We had a Thanksgiving Dinner to celebrate.  The next day it snowed all day and we had so much fun.  We built a giant snowman, pulled them behind the 4-wheeler, and did some target practicing.  On Karrie’s birthday, we gathered with them again for a Japanese dinner party.  Sarah Shuler did the cooking and it was authentic as well as yummy. Sarah, Nathan Pope and Ben all served missions in Japan.  It was delightful to hear them reminisce and chit-chat in Japanese.  Amy had had 4 years of Japanese and hopes to serve there as well.  It’s been so wonderful to have them closer.   

Tyler started a new job on January 22nd.  It will be such a blessing for their family financially. Hopefully it will be more fulfilling and challenging for him.  Andy and Karrie’s family spend five days on the Canary Islands. The pictures were postcard quality.  The adventures and exposure their children are getting while they are in England is extra-ordinary.   If travel is the best education, few children have had more opportunity than them. 

Just for the record, Ammon lost his very first tooth on January 31st and Sarah-Jane lost a tooth that same day. 

1 comment:

  1. That is a great way to start the new year!! I am so excited that you get to have the BYU kids closer. I am a little bit jealous of all your parties!

    ReplyDelete