Our Trip to Hawaii—April
24-May 1, 2019
Our
children combined their resources to send us to Hawaii as a retirement gift for
me. I had not imagined myself going to
Hawaii, deciding I would just enjoy it through the experiences of our
children who had been. I was content
with that. When I received the packet
revealing the plan I was touched to tears.
I know it was a great sacrifice for them all. Some were not in a position to give as much,
so I know some contributed more heavily. Yet, all were given equal credit for the
wonderful gift. That alone left me
feeling so blessed to have such good children who married great spouses. I also had to consider that 7 of our 10
children have never been to Hawaii themselves, yet they freely gave that we
could have the opportunity. Looking back
it is hard to identify my favorite moments there. Comparing the man-made wonders and those of
God is fruitless. I enjoyed every minute
at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I
learned much of the culture of the islands in the Pacific, but what touched me
most was to learn that The Church built this center in connection with
BYU-Hawaii to provide a way for students to get an education, better their
position in life and hang on to the colorful, meaningful cultures of their
ancestors. 80% of the workers are
students at the university. They work 19
hours per week, often in the area representing their home island, in return for
board, room, and an education. The
number of lives blessed every day in a number of ways by this center, would be
hard to determine. The investment in the
center is significant, authentic, and involves every sense. It was a glorious day! They host up to 1200 per night at a Luau and
perform each evening on stage. There is
nowhere on the island that a higher class performance could be enjoyed. However, when I picture our time there, I
first think of snorkeling at Shark’s Cove and the hike to Manoa Falls through
the virgin forest. Snorkeling could be
compared to feeling the Spirit. Until
you experience it is hard to imagine the beautiful world it opens up before you
and what a thrill it is to be a part of it.
We tried hard to use every minute to it’s fullest and will always
treasure our time there.
April 24: Today was the day we got ready for
our big trip. We were able to get my 4’oclock flower beds worked and planted,
as well as filling in three areas of my Iris board destroyed by our recent
sprinkler project. We also prepared for the influx of company expected to
arrive in our absence. It was a day to
remember in the family. Ben had hip
surgery, Jason and Laura were bidding on a duplex in Provo, Amy Ben and Taylor
were finishing a semester at BYU and planned to gather at our house in our absence. Andy
discovered the complete loss of hearing in his left ear.
April 25: We were up and on our way to the SLC
airport by 5:30 a.m. Our trip to Salt Lake, our flight to Seattle, and our
flight to Hawaii were flawless. We
arrived about 4:30 p.m. After picking up
our rental car, which turned out to be a Nissan Rogue, we headed for the little
apartment Laura had arranged for. I was
grateful it was day light so we could see Honolulu and enjoy the highway along
the beach up the coast. We quickly
unpacked, did some quick grocery shopping so we’d have what we needed, and took
a walk through BYU-Hawaii campus. Our
bodies screamed that the day had been too long, but we hoped to switch to
Hawaii time as quickly as possible so we resisted sleep as long as we
could. We even sat on the front lawn,
under the stars and listened to the music coming from the Polynesian Cultural
Center that was just across the street.
Sleep came quickly when we finally gave in!
These were growing outside our apartment.
April
26: (Friday) We were
still on Utah time this morning so we were awake by 4:30 a.m. local time. That worked out well for us to be on the
beach to welcome the sunrise. It was
glorious. The first rays peaking up over the horizon and reflected in the
rolling waves was breath taking. Taking
it all in as we walked along the beach in the sand, we found a little swing
hanging from a tree and tried it out.
We saw a man plunging deeper into the waves holding something above his
head. It was clear he was seeking out
the most dynamic waves. We later met him
and learned he is a professional photographer who captures unique photos of the
ocean and sells them on line. (Sean Davey at sean@seandavey.com)
We went from there to the Laie Temple grounds. We were able to chat with
a couple of the grounds keeper to learn about the trees, shrubs and flowers
there. They also directed us to a quiet
cemetery behind the temple and the little gazebo that overlooks the city and
the ocean. The cemetery was discovered while
clearing the jungle-like vegetation in preparation to build the temple. Many graves have only markers with no
inscriptions, but the spirit there was tribute to the vibrant lives of those
who had lived on this island.
SUN RISE AT THE BEACH!
The view from the cemetery on temple hill.
Around noon we went to the Polynesian
Cultural Center for our scheduled tour.
We were treated like royalty as we met our guide and began our
adventure. What an amazing place! Each culture of the islands of the Pacific
was represented as we visited that area.
They were authentic, colorful and fun.
I think what touched me most about that place is the purpose for its
creation. It was designed as a means for
the young people of the islands to have a way to preserve and share their
culture as while working their way towards a better education and a more
abundant way of life. 80% of the
employees are students attending BYU-Hawaii, who receive board, room and
tuition in return for working 19 hours per week there. The whole concept of the plan is beautiful
and is in keeping with principles of truth.
Yet, this culturally and historically rich place not only produces
revenue, but enriches the life of every visitor who comes. We had rain for a few minutes off and on
throughout the day. It kept the air
fresh and much cooler. The Luau that
evening was enjoyable. We had life
entertainment, delicious cultural dishes, and shared it with over 1000 other
people in an open aired center.
Following the Luau, we went to Ha-The Breath of Life production. The excellence, color, message, and beauty of
the set, the performers and the Spirit were hard to describe. We had seats that
were so close that we could feel the heat from the fire walkers and flame
dancers. The whole day had the mark of
excellence that is the trade-mark of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints.
Note:
We had substitutes for our temple assignment back home. As fate would have it, Jolene and Kimberly
Marvin received their endowments on what should have been our shift. I hated to miss that, but being at the PCC
while they were in the temple in Payson was great consolation.
The tall guy in the Middle was an LDS Dad from Utah.
Out tour family.
Darrel's cousin, Jerusha Wallace Magalei, met us at the PCC.
We enjoyed an authentic Luau with a life program.
"Ha- Breath of Life of an amazing finale for the day.
April 27, 2019
(Saturday) We decided
being on Utah time was a great advantage here.
We were up and at our chosen site before the traffic and the
crowds. We began our day today at
Shark’s Cove, to enjoy some snorkeling.
For me it was a thrill that is hard to describe. Ancient lava flows produced elaborate rock
formations, caverns, waterways, under water caves that are much like a
reef. The surf is more turbulent this
time of year, and it was a bit of a struggle it work our way out over the
rough, unforgiving terrain and the chilly water. When I finally plunged in and put my face in
the water, I was stunned at the beauty.
I’ve seen under water movies, but I was unprepared for what I was
suddenly a part of. I’ve stood on
several beached with no concept of what was just feet away. I couldn’t get enough as I watched the
variety of fish swimming around in search of food, or just playfully darting
through the crevices. There were sea
urchins and coral had made their homes on the volcanic boulders. I made the mistake and resting my hand on
one, and found that they do sting if disturbed. At one point, I discovered a
huge school of silver fish swimming in fascinating formations. I inched closer and followed them as the
darted around the rocks and crevices. Then I
realized they had completely surrounded me. I held still as they moved to
closer and closer to check me out. Completely surrounded by hundreds of fish
was amazing. Time had no meaning as I
was suspended in complete joy! Darrel’s
experience wasn’t quite as good. While
clinging to one of the rocks for footing, waves rammed him into the jagged
surface and he had some major sea-rash on both legs. As we gathered up to leave, I could see some
gospel application to this experience.
Snorkeling opened up a world that I could not have imagined existed
until I put my face in the water. It was
a world that have been within feet of on several occasions, but missed the
grandeur not available from the shore. I
could see that becoming familiar with the voice of the Spirit and having its
influence in my life, accesses a world unknown to those who do not have that
blessing. It is difficult to explain
what that gift provides and it cannot be enjoyed or comprehended from a
distance. The world inside the temple
echoed what I experienced there that morning.
We returned to our little apartment,
cleaned up and headed for the Dole Pineapple Plantation. We took the tour train and spent some time in
their botanical garden. The history was
inspiring and our trip cleared up a misunderstanding for me. I had always pictures pineapple being
harvested from a tree, but in reality it looks a whole lot more like a large
patch of coarse grass. The time and work
it requires to produce one pineapple was surprising. We enjoyed a pineapple Dole chiller. It was so tasty! We checked our time, our
location and the other sites we wanted to visit on our way back to the
car. We were within 30 minutes of Pearl
Harbor. There were still hours before it closed, so off we went. I expected Pearl Harbor to be bigger than it
was, but the Spirit of valor, patriotism, and reverence there was all I had
imagined. We watch the movie depicting
what happened just prior to the attack, as well as the details of the attack
itself and what direction the war took in the aftermath. Then we rode a ferry out around the harbor
when the events unfolding on Dec. 7, 1941.
The Battleship Arizona Memorial sits atop the ship that over-turned and
sunk taking over 1100 men to their death.
Guests aren’t allowed to walk through the memorial any longer, but it
remains above the ship as a tribute to those men.
That
evening we made our way to Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, just to say we had been
there and done that. The white sand it
stunning, but it is home to an element of society that is sensual, and shallow. There were three professional photo shooting
sections in progress while we were there.
One was a gorgeous, Hawaiian woman is a scanty bikini in front of a surf
board. I’m not sure what they hoped to sell,
but clearly the cost was too high for that young woman in my mind. The second
was a lovely woman in a flowing, but revealing dress, lounging with the surf
and sand as a back drop. The third was a young body builder, with tattoos on
one half of his chest, wearing nothing but a low riding pair of denim
shorts. His hair was tasseled, curly,
long and windblown. He was ruggedly
handsome, and I have no idea what they sponsors hoped to sell at his
expense. We left with no need to return.
Pineapple fields
Dole Pineapple Plantation
It was easy to tell exactly where we were while there.
This is the tour train.
They grow more than pineapple there.
The gardens at the plantation.
Coffee beans! So beautiful!
PEARL HARBOR
The tour boat we took to see the harbor.
The Dock where we had fresh fish and chips.
Waikiki Beach
The clean-up crew went to the birds.
April 28, 2019 (Sunday) We slept in a little this morning,
although we were at the church before 8:00 a.m. to meet Darrel’s cousin,
Jerusha Wallace, Magalei. She and he
husband both worked at the PCC and now have a very modest home within a few
miles. We attended church with her
family and met a couple of other distant cousins. The spirit of church was the
same found anywhere. It is the feeling
of home. The one thing I noticed was that their chapel has 20 ceiling
fans! I’d never seen that before. Between church and lunch we enjoyed a video
chat with Karrie and Malea who were in England and 11 hours ahead of us in
time. We also spent a few minutes at the
Visitor’s Center at the temple. It wasn’t
open yet when we visited the temple grounds.
Jerusha’s
husband cooked lunch for us and like any island meal, it was a feast. The cost of living is extreme in Hawaii, and
yet they spared no expense to make a wonderful meal for us. We met their 4 boys and Jerusha’s
brother. The visit was very enjoyable.
We learned more about their family and we left being amazed at how Jerusha has
met the challenges of her live and risen above them. She is a sweet, valiant woman.
That
afternoon we visited the Punch Bowl National Cemetery that honors those lost or
fallen in the Pacific campaign of WWII. It was impressive because of size,
design, beauty and reverent atmosphere. The punch bowl Crater is an extinct
volcanic tuff cone overlooking Honolulu,
Hawaii. The Hawaiian word for “Punch bowl” translates to "Hill of
Sacrifice." Indeed it was. Over
28,000 names of men killed or missing in action in that conflict are engraved
on the walls of tiers of marble monuments.
The view of Honolulu from their was amazing. The cloud formations that day were stunning.
After our visit there, we drive to
the base of the trail to Monoa Falls.
The fall itself is 150 feet, but the walk up to it is a one of a kind
experience. The trail winds through
virgin, tropical forest that is home to vegetation that is hard to describe. The muffled sounds, rich color, vibrant
smells and embracing oxygen content found there is what I picture as a summary
of the beauty of the island. I loved it!
On our way back to our apartment, we
drove through China Town thinking it would be similar to the area called the
same in New York. It was not! It is a ghetto area with many homeless
people. Clearly poverty and addiction
reign there and it was sad.
April
29, 2019 (Monday) Today
was our last full day on the island. Our
effort had been to use every available minute to enjoy and experience as much
as we possibly could. Today was even
more so. We began our day with a hike to
the top of the Diamond Head State Monument. The
trail took us to the edge of a 300,000 year old crater, offering breathtaking
views of the Pacific Ocean, Honolulu, and the only functioning light house on
the island. It was once used by the US
military as a post for preventing attacks against Honolulu. Evidence of their
presence there is still part of the experience.
We were grateful we left as early as we did. It is a barren climb, and the humidity and
direct sun of the morning left us grateful to be at the top.
Our next order of business was to find souvenirs from our
trip and gifts of appreciation for our children and their spouses. Jerusha mentioned that Walmart had the best
variety for the most reasonable price, so we found one. She was correct. It was difficult to find something not made
in China, but we did it. We found soap
for the girls made in Hawaii and Tiki wood can openers made in the
Philippines. It was Jason’s birthday that
day, so we picked up a shirt for him and a similar one for Laura. There was no doubt that Laura was the
go-power behind our trip and that they were among the biggest
contributors. I felt a need to do
something a little extra for them. I
also found a fun blouse for Janna and a hand painted baseball for Scott. Next we found food at a local fish taco
shop, before heading to Laniakea Beach for some relaxing beach time. We found a spot of shade in enjoyed the
crashing waves and the multiple surfing we could see. After about an hour, we noticed a group
gathering down the beach. To our
delight, a 250 pound sea turtle had come ashore to rest and get warm in the
sun. The hosts mentioned they had not
seen one for a few days, but there we were at the right time and place to
experience that. We felt it was a tender
mercy. Within minutes another turtle
came ashore. It was smaller, but equally
fascinating and beautiful.
Leaving there, we traveled to Waimea Valley. Several famous
movies were filmed in this island paradise area. We didn’t climb to the falls because we were
about climbed out, and the cost was more than we wanted to pay. But we enjoyed the free-roaming peacocks, the
birds, the vegetation and the sacred shine built to honor the Gods of the
ancient inhabitants of the island. It is clear that the early settlers were
basically religious people who recognized and honored that which should be
considered sacred.
We had a quick supper at our apartment, began packing and
rested briefly before heading back to Sunset Beach to enjoy the last sunset on
the island. As night fell, people left
but we remained taking in the crashing of the turbulent waves. I just had to
wait until I could see star formation I could identify. As soon as I could see the Big Dipper, I was
content to go. We finished packing for
heading for bed.
Laniakea Beach
Waimea Valley
This is the site of the ancient religious shrine.
The back side of a peacock. Who knew?
A couple of the movies filmed in this valley.
Sunset Beach
April
30th: Today was our travel home day, but we took time to have breakfast at a place Laura had recommended. Because of the time zone, our trip started
early there, but the day was farther spent at our destination. I was better prepared for the trip home, and
the time went much faster. I had a
chance to look down through the clouds and see the vast ocean below. It was difficult to determine where the water
ended and the sky began. We had a
layover in Seattle and arrived in SLC just after midnight. It was nearly 3:00 a.m. on May 1st,
when we arrived home and got into bed.
What an adventure! We made memories for a lifetime.

I'm so glad you took the time to write so many details about your trip! That is by far the most time consuming part! I loved reading about all the fun you had.🥰
ReplyDelete