Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Cove Fort and Fremont Indian Park with Colton and Malea 9/4/13


We had planned to go to the temple on Wednesday, Sept. 4th, 
but due to some unexpected circumstances we decided to go to 
Cove Fort and the Fremont Indian Park instead.

Colton, Malea and Mom are in front of the little log cabin that President 
Hinckley's grandfather's family lived in.  It was brought to this location 
from Colesville, Utah. We watched the introductory film inside this cozy home.

Colton tried something cool with his camera and Malea became rather translucent!

Malea is inside the kitchen/dining room or hub of the home.

This photo takes in the big garden, ox loading shoot, ice house and hay derrick.

Colton and Malea inspect our guides purse which had been crocheted from shopping bags.

Our guide read this cute little poem,  "As our ancestors walked to the Promised Land, 
many of the youth walked hand in hand.Some fell in love and wanted to marry, 
but money and jewelry they did not carry.A kind young blacksmith knew what to do. 
He bend the nail from an old horse shoe.The "prairie diamond" was the name he gave.  
Many a marriage it did save.!  written by  Gerald and Beth Clark.

Then Colton, who is a great sport,  proposed anew with the "prairie diamond."

Malea shows off her lovely new ring!  Our tour had ended so we had our 
picnic under the apple trees before heading to our next destination.

The Fremont Indian Park Visitors' center is nestled in this little cove.
Colton took this photo through the picture window 
of the building.  Notice the rain on the glass!

This is a replica of the inside of a pit house, the main dwelling of the Fremont Indians.

Malea had to try out the ladder that lead from the under ground house to 
ground level.  It was reminiscent of her cameo appearance in the movie
 still shown at the park, when she emerged from the pit house just east 
of the visitor's center.   Malea was in third grade at the time it was filmed.  
She appears in the introductory film four times! 

Colton offered Malea a hand up!

It looks like she took the offer!

The bench Malea and Colton are sitting on is made of logs.  
The split log on top was highly polished and very beautiful.

This Fremont Indian woman model was constructed using an actual 
skeleton found as a reference. These Indians were small people.


Malea bought some dried corn from a little machine and 
tried her hand at making cornmeal as the Indian women did.

I loved this painted mural in the visitor's center.  
How many heads or faces can you see?

There are literally thousands of hieroglyphics in this area.  Here is a sample.

Mom and Malea in the Indian tent.  The Fremont Indians 
didn't use these, but the tourists enjoy them.

Colton and Malea

3 comments:

  1. Was it weird to see herself on the big screen, or did she offer to sign autographs at the end?

    I don't remember the pit house. It has been too long since I was there last. I guess I need to visit and check it out again. Plus now Malea is at the visitors center all the time! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did indians where flip flops or is this an omaz to new ways? Hard to miss place those shoes Malea... I too need a refresher as that I have not been in too many years. maybe during the family reunion!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so fun to go back and visit those places! Thanks for taking us Mom! I had actually forgotten that I was in the movie so many times! It's like the camera couldn't stay away from me, but what can I say?!

    Oh and Shellie, those aren't even my flashy sandals... :)

    ReplyDelete