Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Flood control in our yard


Following three floods, it was clear that the lilac hedge had to go. ):
Dad borrowed Bateman's instrument of destruction. 


The deed is nearly done. 

Today my picture window made me sad.

This is the sole survivor of the project.

 
Removal project is complete!

This is our HUGE lilac cemetery. 

 On Oct. 14, 2014, the road construction crew arrived.
Juab County did the work.  Andrew was our engineer.
The grader is taking the level of the road in the dip down about 20 inches.

More guys just kept showing up.

A meeting of minds to determine if the dip is deep enough. 

 The road is ready for blacktop.

This is the new and improved flood waters path through the yard. 

 All this dirt and silt was removed from the bottom of our wash.

Bus 15 in the bottom of the wash. Not a lot of clearance!

New view from the front porch.

The scars of flooding remain.

 Our new paved dip. Thanks Juab County!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! They did a lot of work in a short time. I think Dad might have been having just a little bit of fun in the removal of the lilacs. It is sad to see such a big pile of expired lilacs. Andrew is the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that you had to lose your lilacs, I know they meant so much to you. I am still not sure about a couple of my trees and bushes living from the flood. I cried when all the rocks were hauled off that Katrina and I had gather from the actual mountain creeks. We enjoyed them for a long time. I will not have my yard put back together until next summer when we see what kind of spring run off we get. Life goes on and these things happening are actually a small moment in the total picture; we didn't lose any life or limb, or our testimonies so all is well (so my mother would tell me). Love, Sheree

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you at least have one lone survivor. :) It can thank old Sheena for that... ;) And the new road looks nice. Is it going to hold up under the bus and farm equipment? So can you plant things down there again or will it just be bare now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, you added some pictures. I am glad you showed some better shots of the road. Andy kept asking how much was paved and I wasn't sure. ;) Glad they left you just enough clearance for the bus. You may have to get into rock layouts. They are big in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete