Thursday, December 17, 2015

Visit to Temple Square (Dec. 10, 2015)

I took JHS Concert Choir to Temple Square for two performances. Dad came with me.

                           One of the wise men.                              The Temple Square Nativity.

 Shepherds abiding in the fields.

 The Christus and white poinsettias.              Dad and some sister missionaries.

 
            The new African nativity.

 This tree was almost fully leaved out.
Like  many trees, the leaves are dry, but did not fall.

LEVAN HOMESTEAD NEWS: December 2015 Edition 
Dad: My last day at work was on the 2nd of Dec. It feels really good to think that I don’t have to see Ash Grove any more. We went to the Ashgrove “winter party.” It isn’t a Christmas party any more. They eat, have a wet bar and gamble. There wasn’t one word about Christmas or Christ, so that is the last one of those I will every go to. We took Grandma Anna and Grandpa Marvin to see the lights in Spanish Fork Canyon and around Salem Pond on the 5th.  I think they really enjoyed the little outing. The lights are so fun to see. On our way back to Payson we went past Kim and Karen Montague’s house. Their whole yard is full of lights, and it is something to behold.   As most of you know I had hip replacement surgery on Dec. 7. My brothers have helped take good care of me. Of course the van radiator went out the day before so, Gord put a new radiator in the van for us.  On Dec. 13th, I had Marvin come over and help me bury Abby. That is a loss that we have felt. He has also pushed the snow on our lane a couple of times. We went to Grandma Anna’s house on Christmas day to talk to Andrea. I think everyone enjoyed the time we had with Andrea. We appreciated Colton setting things up and making it happen.  Mom and I went up on Dec. 28th and moved Bethany’s horses to our house. The next day we moved Bethany and the kids home. The move went smoothly. Love ya all and hope you have a good new year. Dad

Mom: Dad has been home more this December than any I remember and it was lovely.  He and I went to Temple Square on a bus run prior to his surgery.  We got trapped in a parking lot and pulled over by the Highway patrol, but other than that it was a good trip.  The week of Dad’s surgery was also the week of the ward Christmas Party and I was on the committee for that event.  Needless to say, I easily had my 10,000 steps in every day that week.  I made 200 sugar cookies and enough stuffing for 225 people. We served pork loin roasts, herbed potatoes, green salad, and mixed veggies along with the cookies and stuffing. I also helped with a musical number for the program with my Activity Day girls. It turned out great, but as I had feared-- it was the same day Dad came home from the hospital,  so it was a rather exhausting day. 

Bethany and kids came down for a visit mid-month and to check on Dad.  He surely appreciated all the calls, texts, visits, and Facetime sessions with family.  Grandpa Marvin’s 84th birthday was on Dec. 17th.  All my brothers and spouses, but Blake met at Sizzler’s in Provo.  Mary joined us as well. Grandpa didn’t say much, but I know he was pleased.   My last driving day of the year was Dec. 18th.  The long vacation has been so busy I don’t think I would have had time to drive.  We had the Marvin Christmas party, I went to Wil’s heart appointment with Bethany; had an activity day Christmas party here at home; cleaned, reorganized and de-junked the basement; participated in the famous Levan 2nd Ward Christmas Sacrament Meeting Program; and had a private Shepherd’s dinner and very meaningful Christmas Eve with Dad. (That was just the first week!)    Janna called from Florida and Maggie called from prison that night for a visit and added to the Spirit of the evening. 

Christmas morning was very different for us because it was our very first to be just the two of us in our entire marriage.  Thanks to Facetime was got to share Christmas with the Smiths and Shirleys. By the end of the day we had some form or contact with each of our kids, including Andrea.  That was definitely a highlight for me.  We started at Grandma Anna’s and ended at Grandpa Marvin’s. Sadly, Grandma Anna was doing poorly and ended up in the hospital that night. She has made slow, but steady improvement since. 

The Davis Christmas Party was on Dec. 26th.   We were jointly in charge of it with Uncle Richard’s family.  It was well attended and there was an extra sweet spirit there. As Dad mentioned, we spent a couple of days moving Bethany home.  Malea and Colton helped us with the actual move, along with several others. (T and two very buff friends, plus Shawn, Rebecca and Rachel.) Bethany is more content and happy than she has been for a long time.  The move went better than we had hoped and we’ve had lots of fun since she arrived.  Christmas Eve we discovered that when it is 20 below, you can blow bubbles and they do indeed freeze before hitting the ground! Our predictions for the year did not include world peace, but rather an increase in personal and family peace.  May that be our blessing!  Happy 2016! 

Sister Andrea Kenison: See andreaapril.blogspot.com
 

2 comments:

  1. Temple Square still looks amazing even without snow. I am glad you two get to have fun trips together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Temple Square was one we didn't quite get around to this go 'round. I am glad you took pictures though! Love the Africa nativity! :)

    ReplyDelete