Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Dad's Retirement---April 1, 2016



On March 31, I got up early and made doughnut dough. I only drove in the morning, 
but it was memorable. The high school kids were actually standing in the aisles of my bus, 
when I over-heard talk on the radio about the possibility of cancelling school because of a 
power outage at the Jr. High and vocational building.  I just had them sit back down until 
the decision was made.  High School and Jr. High were soon cancelled, so I just took my 
high school kids with me so I didn’t have to come back. Most of the other drivers were
 not so lucky.  We were pretty crowded by the time we got to the elementary because of 
my two Nephi Stops.  I dropped the high school students back off at their stops on the way
 home and arrived just about the time I wanted to.  Bethany and I passed on the ridge.   
She was headed to the airport to get Janna, Ammon and Baby Sam. Dad and I fried and 
glazed the donuts asap.   I had made 3 ½ times the recipe, but I have a new doughnut
cutter and it makes much bigger donuts.  YIKES! I had to hustle to make another 1 ½
batches to cover what he needed to share with the whole plant out to Ash Grove. We had
him on his way by 11:00 a.m.  The maintenance department had a little barbeque for him
when he arrived, and he really enjoyed taking donuts to the different departments as a
way of saying good-bye..  The donuts turned out pretty good and were well received.



Friday morning,  April 1st, Janna and I made 10 apple pies!
Katie and Ty arrived around noon, and Dad and I were soon on THE treasure hunt!
 Taylor, Janna and Katie put that together, so it was good!  There were ten clues…one
 for each of our children.  Each clue came with a little gift or a chance to talk to one 
of the out-of-state kids.  Each had something to do with fishing.  

LET THE TREASURE HUNT BEGIN!


Dad is getting organized.
Dressed and ready to roll!

I got to go along as Dad's "sweetheart" and best blogger.
Clue 1: Go to:  Burger King
 Order: 6827 219345805

A=1;   C=H-5;    F=Dx2;    H=F-1;    I=N-1:  N=S+7;    S=1+1+1-1;    W=4;  D= S-1





Clue 2: Fishes are slimy, water is blue, if you need to borrow a book, what should you do? 
Ask the nice ladies for the “How-to fishing book about the Master Fisher.”  

Blogger's Note: The library didn't open until 1:00 p.m. and Katie was there to drop off the 
Book and clue at 11:00 a.m..  After conferring with the homestead, she left it at the Nephi City 
Office which is across the hall from the library and asked them to walk it over.  The book was
 there, but the ladies were pretty clueless about what was going down! 

Clue 3:First eight words on page 251” “the last word of the first line and the first word of the 
second line on page 373” “first letter of the seventh word on page 309” “the second and third 
letters of the second word on page 318” “the third letter of the second word on page 404” “ the
 vowels of the second word of the second full paragraph on page 413”   
(And after the last meal had ended He...called...K--AR--R--IE!)


 This is Dad is talking to Karrie, who was traveling with her five kids home
 from their Spring Break trip to San Antonio,Texas back to Mississippi.)   

 Clue 4: Karrie said---
“There’s something fishy going on with your mail box, so you may want to check it out.”  


Clue 5: “We heard that back-in-your-day you were the fastest volunteer firefighter this
 side of the Mississippi. You’ve got some hungry fish on your hands and since there’s
 no “Firehouse” sub in Levan, you’ll have to race to the station and find some worms for
 these fish.”  N, S, E, W. (choose the first and last!)  ( P.O.  Box 172) 

 Clue 6: “You’re gonna see her “face” this “time” - so contact your best fishin’-buddy.”  
 (Dad knew it was Malea without hesitation so we face-timed her on my phone.) 



Clue 7: Malea said, “While Levan is a most fantastic place, there’s only one spot 
all the people and fishes are dying to get in. Test your metal behind the sign.” 


 Clue 8: There’s only one place where you can see fish fly, so Skype the lady who 
lives nearby. (We called Laura and she played “Music Box Dancer” for Dad from memory!)  

Blogger's note:  I couldn't get skype to work on my phone, so we just called her.  
She was tending a two year old so she played from memory with distractions!



Clue 9: Laura said, “Use the first three letters of the composer’s first name and
 the first letter of his last name. (Dad knew the Frank Miller was the composer.)   
Reorganize them to make a word, and then go there and find a place where you could 
quantify the gravitational pull of a large fish before you remove his “scales”.” (pun intended) 

Janna  and Sam are dashing out to let everyone know that she just received
a call from Laura that we are on our way to the last clue at the farm.

 
Can you see the Tempo?
                         Down at the farm:
Clue 10:  Riddle one: “What has a ring but no finger?”
               Riddle two: He’s handsome and tall, but unavailable to call. He’s miles 
away so don’t bother with the math. Just call his better half.

 This is Dad chatting with Meghan who is in Marquette, MI while Jake is deployed.

Meghan said:
“This is the last clue that we have for you.
Return to the homestead and your prize you will earn.
Go out the back door, and 20 yards more.
South of the hive without bees, We hope you’ll be pleased.”  

BACK AT THE HOMESTEAD 
NOTE: While we were on the hunt, Tyler and Katie took Dad's truck up to Andrew 
Robinson's to pick up the boat.  Andrew had been storing the boat in his garage
 since March 5. Jake found the boat on-line from his ship. It was in St. George, 
so Lisa, Tyler's sister checked it out.  Scott was the financial clerk, so he wired 
the money. Then Katie made the deal and Tyler drive down and picked it up the 
day of SJ's Levan Birthday party.  Dad had actually seen the boat at Andrew's when 
he went to deliver their invitation to his open house.  He thought, "That is a  nice 
boat. I guess Andrew is up grading and it looks like he night be taking up fishing." 
Janna and Sam keep watch at the east side of the bee shed.

 Bethany intercepted Dad so he went the right way around the bee shed.

The first reaction was captured by KATIE!

 THIS IS WHAT DAD SAW FIRST!  The kids popped up and yelled, "Surprise!"

The Smile says it ALL!


Grandpa, do you have a tear in your eye? 

 Dad did get a little misty, so he had to hug Katie
 for a long time while he got himself composed. 


 Katie gave him the card from everyone. 


 It was designed and hand drawn by Malea!
 Then I got the envelop with the license plates, registration stickers and titles!

Note: Bethany and I had to watch the mail like hawks to 
intercept those titles before Dad could pick up any mail. 
                             The titles made it REAL!                  This is the new license plate!



 WHAT WERE THE KIDS DOING WHILE DAD GOT THE LICENSE 
PLATE AND STICKERS ON?  Trying out Grandpa's new boat!






The "Getting to know it" phase: Since Tyler picked the boat up, we was given the tutorial
from the owner.  So he provided the guided tour of the boat and its features for Dad.
Tyler took notes on his phone so he would not forget the smallest detail.








 This is a 125 horse power motor!  It will definitely pull a tube!

 Dad's first time in the driver's seat.


 This is Dad on the fishing seat!

Note: Dad and Tyler were pretty much on available for the next two hours as they 
checked out every feature and corner of the boat.  They also pulled it to town and 
fueled it for the maiden voyage the next morning.  

 By the time our family barbeque began, the truck and boat were ready to roll! 

THE BACK YARD FAMILY BARBEQUE 
We had our family barbeque at 5:00 p.m.  Kaleb and Haylie had stomach flu, so 
Neldon and Brenda just brought Hayden and Dallin down with them.  Tyler
 tended to two little ones so they could come.  We also invited the Hursts to join 
us so they had more time to visit with Janna and the boys. Hursts just got home 
from serving a mission at the Ranch in Florida. RayLynn was one of 
Dad's best buddies growing up at on West Mountain.  


                                  Thanks Uncle Neldie!                                    Baby Sam



Dad and I got to eat together.  He was the grill master for the event!

We were grateful the weather on April 1st was good enough to be outside.


 Hayden and the amazing kite.



Dalene and RayLynn Hurst with Dad and I.

THE OPEN HOUSE: At 7:00 people started showing up for pie and ice cream.   
We had a BIG crowd  that included both family and friends. It turned out so nice. 
We served nearly 3 gallons of ice cream (Graham Canyon flavor)  and seven pies.  
 I just couldn’t think of anyway the day could have been better. The Mellors headed
home around 7:30, but the Wilkins stayed for the weekend.  Russ and Marg provided
 a place for them to sleep since our accommodations have shrunk a bit.  



 Dad reading the cards guests gave him.

THE MAIDEN VOYAGE: (4/2/2016)
Dad and Ty left early to take the boat to Yuba.  It was only 20 degrees that
 morning, so it was a chilly voyage.  They could have listened to conference on the 
water because it has a good radio, but the cold brought them home for the morning 
session. They both wrapped up in a blanket during the morning session to get warm.  

Photos are complements of Tyler!  

 The motor was a bit cold blooded at 20 degrees, but they got it up and running.
 Can you tell it was a chilly morning?  Even this attire was not enough.


  They saw a flock of pelicans.

                   A selfie of first fishing trip.             The only caught of the short trip.  It is a stick!

3 comments:

  1. Superbly done! That was a priceless day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to celebrate all the hard work and sacrifices Dad has made over the years. I am so glad I was able to be part of it, even from a distance. I wish I could have given him a hug that day, but I guess Katie is a good substitute. :) His face said it all. You documented well! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I will have to spend an hour rubbing out the muscle aches in my checks I am smiling so hard..... And crying just a little bit. WE LOVE YOU!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete