Wednesday, March 18, 2020

December at a Glance



DECEMBER 2019 AT A GLANCE

December 4:  Janna had surgery scheduled today long before the accident on Monday.  Doctor’s decided they were still willing to do it.  The surgery went well and in some ways Janna felt some relief because the pain medication for the surgery helped with the pain from the accident.  However, the combination was a lot to ask of her body and it didn’t take long to see that her recovery would be longer and more painful than we had hoped.
December 9: Today was Jessica’s 17th birthday.  I was feeling a bit down and we didn’t have concrete plans for FHE,  so I called Ben and Amy and made arrangements to meet them in Spanish Fork for pizza and a trip to see our favorite Christmas lights.  It was a beautiful way to share the light today and a much needed break for them from final’s week.   I was so grateful for the prompting to organize it and equally grateful that Ben and Amy are so spontaneous and flexible!
December 14: Darrel and I attended the Ash Grove Party this year.  We’ve missed a few because the flavor of the party had descended from anything becoming of Christmas.  With the new management, we decided to try again and it was quite fun.  It was good for Darrel to see many of the guys he worked with.  They seemed truly pleased to see him as well.
December 15: Today was Choir Sunday!  We practiced after the block, performed at the Victorian House at 4:00 p.m., and then had a Christmas social at Kent and Sharon Bateman’s home afterwards.  I came home feeling so pleased with the whole day.  I had asked the Nugetelli Family to present the Christmas in America puppet show and they did a super job.  Pam Jackman shared a thought and story that were so fitting for the group.  The choir sounded good and the gathering felt like a family get together. 
December 16: I took my Dad to the Doctor’s this morning.  The cancer spots on his face have responded well to the medication and the doctor suggested that he do two more rounds.  We had hoped he was done, but grateful that he is tolerating the treatment and responding favorably.
December 17:  Today was my Dad’s 88th birthday.  My brother, Mark, had a 2nd hip replacement surgery and Tyler and Quinci’s new baby boy was born today.  Those who were able gathered at Sizzler’s in Provo for dinner.  Aunt Judy, Uncle Burtis and Aunt Mary Lou joined us! I think Dad enjoyed it.
December 18: Ben and Amy came down for dinner with two of Amy’s friends.  They wanted to come one more time before heading back to Washington for Christmas.  We enjoyed a good meal and played a couple of card games.  It was so good to have them here and even better that they wanted to be.
December 19: I was in SLC with the JHS choir all day and it was lovely.  I thought last year was my final trip with them, but I believe this year really was. Andrea and Hyrum came down to see me and pick up a few things.  We had lunch together and enjoyed one of the choir’s performances.  I also enjoyed the presentations at the Legacy Theater.  I was able to participate in the Church’s Giving Machine campaign.  We donated the funds for an infant resuscitation kit, 100 polio vaccinations for children. I was pleased that Mellor, Wilkins, and Shirleys found a giving machine near them and were able to participate, too.
December 22: Today was our ward Christmas Sacrament meeting.  The choir presented two numbers that were wonderful.  The message and Spirit of the songs were felt by many.
December 24:  We had Christmas Eve Day lunch with the Bott family. They had gone to a lot of work and expense to include us and we were grateful.  Their family gatherings are not like ours.  There is substance abuse and lots of conflict that usually begins in jest.  Amazingly, they have a high level of loyalty and a form of love for each other.  I had worried about being alone for Christmas and was pleased that they reached out to us not knowing that.  That suggested that Jenny is open to promptings from the Spirit and that thought made me happy.  We finished the evening by watching “The Nativity” movie.
December 25:  We awoke to 8 inches of snow!  It was wonderful.  Randel, Bethany, Hannah and Bryton were in Nevada and Sarah-Jane and Hans were in Murray, so we were here alone. Darrel worked on chores while I started a snow fort.  The snow was just too perfect to ignore.  Then we went for a 4 wheeler ride up Chicken Creek Canyon.  It was gorgeous!  We didn’t get around to opening gifts until 3:00 p.m.  At 5:00 we met at Robinson’s for a Shepherd’s dinner with them and 4 missionaries.  We were grateful they, too responded to the Spirit and extended an invitation to join their family that evening. 
December 28:  Colton and Malea celebrated their 7th wedding anniversary yesterday and moved into a new home today.  They plan to rent their first little home which is less than 25 minutes away.  Hopefully this upgrade will be a good one for them.  Malea was released as RS President.
December 31:  Darrel and I were home alone again.  We put all our Christmas decorations away and then headed north.  We spent New Year’s Eve on Temple Square.  We enjoyed a variety show; (A big children’s choir, a family of 6 who were accomplished violinists and woman with a gorgeous soprano voice who was accompanied by her husband) dinner at JB’s; a musical fireside to kick start President Nelson’s challenges for the New Year by a 200+ Young Adult group and a concert by “The Nashville Tribute Band.”   We made a final walk around Temple Square before heading home.  We took in every detail as the 4 year renovation of Temple Square begins shortly.

1 comment: