Monday, August 24, 2015

Jessica's long awaited visit! (Aug. 13-Aug. 20, 2015)

It is hard to describe what it means to a Grandpa and Grandma
to have a granddaughter who saves for nearly THREE YEARS
to come for a visit.  At times we wondered if it 
would really happen.  I am pleased to report that it did!!!

 Jessica flew in by herself on Alaska Airlines.  I was there impatiently waiting at gate A8.

 When Jessica came up the ramp with six other unassisted minors they were quickly corralled. 

It was a shock to see that I was not picking
up a little girl, but a beautiful young lady! 

We headed south as fast of the slow and go traffic would allow.
We arrived at Sundance Theater just in time to get in our seats
before a 10 minute cloud burst of rain and hail descended. 

We had 2nd row seats for the Wizard of Oz production.

 Did we have an umbrella?  Yes! We did!! This is our under the red umbrella selfie! :)
The production was clever, funny and enjoyable.  
Afterwards we ran into the Wicked Witch from the West.  

Friday we slept in and then got ready for our T-PARTY!
 Cortlyn came. (Her brother, Jaron made her hat. Macie came. 

 Kiera came. It was her very first T-party.

First we painted toe nails. 

Next---we enjoyed out T-party luncheon, where everything 
was either TEENY of could be eater with a TOOTHPICK.

 The "tea" was fresh pressed apple juice, the "cream' was 
sprite and the 'sugar cubes' were pineapple tidbits.


 Each girl decorated their own treasure chest and then
 put a piece of chocolate for each family member inside.

 Next the girls prepared and preformed a puppet show.

 Finally we played with play dough.


We had a lovely time and no one was ready for it to be
over when Jilean showed up for the girls.
 Best of all....we did not do one thing that required electronics. :) 

One of our goals was to eat an entire WATERMELON in one sitting.
Before.

 After.  (YUM!)
On Saturday we went to Payson Temple so Jessica could do baptisms for the dead.
She is the first in her family to go inside this beautiful temple. 


Jessica at Payson Temple.

 Grandpa took care of the baptisms and confirmations.  I was just a grateful observer. 
Jessica did three confirmations and five baptisms.

 The grounds were gorgeous that day.

Jessica and Me! 
(We found a place that was shady so we could keep our eyes open.) 

On the way our to visit Grandma Anna we
ran across this BIG MONSTER TRUCK.
We thought Uncle Jake might need it, but quickly realized
the expensive paint job would have to be re-done because
it had gruesome and other questionable pictures.

When we arrived at Grandma Anna's, she wanted
us to see some of her amazing flowers.
Jessica is officially taller than Grandma Anna. 

This blossom is nearly as big as Jessica's head.  

This blossom is smaller, but with Grandma    This rose started as a "bottle baby" that Grandma grew
Anna's hand, it is equally breath taking.                 roses Marv gave her for her 80th birthday
.
        
Next we headed for Spanish Fork so Jessica could meet Baby Wil.
 Baby Wil and Jessica. Will was only four days old.




We met the Wilkins at the India Palace for lunch.

Gratefully we had Jessica who has a great taste in Indian food.  She ordered for us.
 We had chicken tikka masala, chicken saag, and chicken korma.  It was yummy! 

Jessica, Luke and Aunt Lindsey just before heading to the Peppermint place.

The Peppermint Place is where specialty candy is made in Utah.  Jessica got a 
sucker for each one in her family and the cute little monkey gumball for a souvenir.
This is one place where  BLUE meets RED in a sweet way.

Jessica checked out the assortment of Jelly Belly jelly beans.

Then we were off to the Puppy Barn. 
We saw Mater along the way.

No one under 18 can hold the puppies--- according to the
signs at the Puppy Barn. (Age 21 on the smaller breeds)
Grandpa helped Jessica out with that obstacle. (No on even checked his ID. :)


Opps!  This is our one illegal shot.  I take full responsibility for this infraction.

The Wilkins are always up for a visit to the Puppy Barn.

NOTE: Jessica and Grandpa went for a nearly 2 hours four wheeler ride when we got home.
I didn't take a picture before they left and it was dark when they returned. :(
However, it was one of the highlights of Jessica's trip and must be noted here.

Sunday was a quiet day at home.  Jessica sang with us in the
choir for ward conference and Suazo's came down in the evening
for homemade strawberry ice cream.   The following day.....
Our little Saturday's Warrior and her mom and
baby brother gave to visit for a few days.

Little Will

Life makes you sooooo tired! 

Baby Wil does have eyes~


He also has a Big Sister is a good and very willing helper.

Monday evening we hosted the 
Primary Family Dinner and Dance for FHE.
It was our best attended ever and weather could not have been better.  
The Limbo and how low can you go? (Jory is the one down.)

Of course John Hanks was our fabulous DJ.
The dinner was good, but the dancing was great!

We were happy that the Wilkins decided to join us.



Luke made Jessica his personal slave and body guard.

 She didn't seem to mind. 

 Luke and Jessica

This is the wife and baby of the new 5th grade teacher at Red Cliff's 
who recently moved to Levan.  Their last name is Bradshaw. Sister
Bradshaw is part Brazilian and they have 3 beautiful little girls.

Do you know any of  these people?

Tuesday morning, Jessica and I went for a walk.
We were looking for tracks in the mud

 This is an adorable raccoon track.

These tracks came from a smaller raccoon.

 We tried to do a selfie to show how high the Uncle's corn is, 
but the sun was so bright that it was a challenge.

We actually found some animals on that walk.  
This is Jessica with one of  Uncle Marv's little kittens.
This one came out every time Jessica walked by.

This one was a bit more wild and stand offish.

In the end, it was no match for Jessica's irresistible kindness.

That day was our sewing and craft day.
Bethany showed Jessica the process of taking a design from the 
computer and putting it pretty professionally on a designer shirt.

 Each of the Mitchell's has adopted a minion name.  Jessica is BOB!

It took a few hours, but it turned out great!
This is Bob, or so it says on the back of the shirt.
Grandpa used this line on someone at work who was given 
him a hard time and everyone had a good laugh.

 Jessica also made a new pillow case for each of her sibling. (I made her one.)

 Here they are in familial order.

NOTE:  We read "The Two Princesses of Bamarre" during her stay.
We finished it on our way to Utah County.
It was recommended by Aunt Katie, so it had dragons, fairies and magic!

 The day before she had to fly home we stopped to see Grandpa Marvin.
That was Aunt Janna's  37th birthday and my first day of school.

Bethany and family went home that evening, but we all
met at Brenda's for a yummy dinner. That gave Jessica a chance
to see her Mellor cousins.  She even saw Tyler! 

That evening, Jessica and I went to a Gentri Concert at BYU.
This is our selfie at the concert.  These guys are great singers a
nd fabulous entertainers. We both enjoyed it. 

The next day, Thursday, August 20th was a kind of sad day.  Jessica had to fly home.
On our way to the airport we got a picture of this pair of hawks. The murky air is due to the 
smoke from the BIG fires in California, Washington and/or Idaho.  We had a smoke haze all week.

We also stopped at Katie's for one last picture with the cousins.
Kaleb, Luke, Haylie, Leia and Jessica holding Baby Gabe.

Jessica with Ben's birthday buddy...Gabriel Lane.
Jessica had to show off her amazing shirt for the Wilkins.  
Aunt Bethany had also requested a picture.

We had a late lunch at Sweet Tomato on our way to the airport.
Then we stopped by the Mitchell's old house in Sandy. After 8 years, it looks different.

 This is our last selfie.  It was taken at the airport.

Jessica had to be the last one to board because she flew as an unattended minor.

There were only two minors flying.  This was the last image of an amazing week.
Jessica flew out of the same gate she flew in, but it was a different plane.

The Eagle is ready to fly!

A beautiful sunset at the end of a super fun week.

LEVAN HOMESTEAD NEWS---August 2015

Dad:  One of the first things I did this month was pick up Uncle Gord and Grandma Anna and head for SLC to a barbeque house for the Burton cousin party. The barbeque was alright but the visiting was great. We were able to see pictures that Uncle Mack took at the Burton family reunions up in Midway many years ago.  Our older girls were just little girls then.  We also saw a book that had English assignments that were done by Aunt Clara when she was in college. She passed away a few years ago. It was good to be able to visit with the cousins that were there. Then Mom and I had the opportunity to speak at the Victorian House for their sacrament meeting.  It was a good experience. We were able to visit with Aunt Aleen. (She is Ted Kenison’s mother and she is living there now.)  Next we signed up to clean the Temple in Payson. We started at 9:30 p.m. and cleaned till 11: 45 p.m. then came home.  Knowing I would be getting home late, I took Wednesday off to get rested up.  When I got home from cleaning the Temple I went out and turned on the sprinklers to water the lawn. The next morning when Mom got up she found that the sprinkler by the kitchen door stuck and flooded the basement, (a little)  so it was good I was home to suck up all the water.  I no sooner got that cleaned up than mom looked out the window and saw a skunk on the back lawn. It looked like it had come out from under the bee shed and was eating some grass. Mom said, “What is that skunk doing on my back lawn?”  I said, “I don’t know.  Should I go ask him?”  Well, not really---but I did go get the 10-22.  I opened the screen door and take a rest on the screen door so all the empty brass ended up in the kitchen. I shot him a number of times and he stood up and turned for a side shot. After he fell, Mom handed me a double garbage bag and I bagged him with rubber gloves. Then I headed straight for the garbage can at the end of the lane. Then Mom and I took the tarantula that we got on family night at the Robinson’s to set him free. We found that young tarantulas need water, and when they get it they turn from weak and timid to fierce and aggressive.  I have only 14 more weeks of work at Ash Grove……but who’s counting?

Mom: HAPPY BIRTHDAY this month to Aunt Brenda, Leia, Wil, Aunt Janna, Bradley and Kaylee.
I was released as R.S. President on August 2nd, so I have been a whole month without a calling.  So far…it’s been okay! Dad and I went to the Hale Theater production of “Into the Woods” on August 1st. I have to say that it wasn’t my favorite because it some ways it felt a little like a very bad dream.  But…it was cleverly written and everyone found an immediate connection because we all “knew” the characters. The music was fantastic!  The plot was an interesting study of how we learn and change over a life time as well as how our choices affect us, those we love and our future.  
The Wilkins and Andersons had a couple of different play days in Levan during August and that is always fun.  I also had the best visit with Jake by phone from his ship while he was in at port near Seattle.  He’s an awfully good man! J  The time he spent with Laura and family made me happy deep down inside. 
Back in Utah, the Wilkins (minus Tyler who was with the Scouts) and Mellors (minus Tyler who was at football) joined us for Cove Fort Days. (I guess that made us Tyler-less.) It was a chilly, breezy day, but I think we all enjoyed feeling connected with the Spirit of that place and so many pioneer skills.(Even though those who maintain them do so more as a hobby than a career.) The Wilkins stayed for a sleepover so we could help celebrate Leia’s 2nd birthday.  What we lacked in quantity, we made up for in quality.  Katie is amazing!
Wilford Hans was born on August 11th.  Looking at the Marvin calendar it was the only day that week he could have come and had his own day. (Induction is a wonderful thing!) Aunt Brenda stayed with Sarah-Jane until I could get there. Then SJ had a couple of sleep-overs here in Levan.  She is brilliant, well-adjusted and delightful. I dropped SJ off at home in S.F. on my way to the airport to get Jessica.  There is no way to describe the amount of fun we had while Jessica was here.  It will go down in the history of my life as one of the best weeks ever. 
What do armor, airport, beans, concert, dance, delivery, down-pour, dragons, garden, flight, flood, friends, fairies, four-wheeler, hail, ice cream, monster truck, ogres, painting, peppermint, pillow cases, puppies, photo-finish, princesses, rescue, release, saag, skunk, sleepover, tarantula, tea party, temple, traffic, umbrella, warriors, wizards and witches have in common?  They all happened in a ten day period this month which included the week Jessica was here for a visit.  Just for the record, some were from the book Jessica and I read: “The Two Princesses of Bamarre.”  Thanks Jessica for planning, for saving and for coming! (See our blog for pictures and details.)
.
When Tory had to go back to work, Bethany brought the kids down for a couple of days while Jessica was here.  That’s when the arts and crafts began. It was so fun to have them here so we could take turns snuggling Little Wil.

Of course, now school is back in session so I am driving the bus twice a day.  But I have discovered that I have more time for “tunnel vision” projects that require a block of time and undivided attention now that I am “calling-less”  Dad and I can do some spontaneous things more often, too.  We went on a four-wheeler ride up Levan Canyon one evening, across the skyline.  We drove until we could see the Manti Temple.  It was thrilling. There were actually some autumn leaves on top so I picked some so I could send them to Sister K. The sage brush was in bloom and the sky was a deep autumn blue. There is something about it that fills my soul. There are hints of autumn on the hillsides, so I am guessing it will be in full color soon.  We love you all! 

Sister Andrea Kenison: See andreaapril.blogspot.com
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Where to start?! I am so jealous of all the fun you had! I want Jessica to come visit me! On second thought, everyone is invited! ;)
    So fun that she saved so long to come and visit! Jessica is so cute! Wish we could have been there to party with you all! :) That is a week she will never forget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How FUN! I need to come visit with Jessica next time. You two did so many fun things!! I love her shirt. She and Aunt Beth did a great job. You also got some great pictures of Lil' Wil. He is darlling. Glad it was such a great week!

    ReplyDelete