Sept. 18-20th was the First Annual Draft Horse Show at Young Living Farms. I got a ticket
for Saturday and took Dad and Grandpa Marvin along. They are senior citizens and got in free. :)
We hoped on this wagon to for a ride and to get the lay of the land.
Do you recognize the younger driver? (Merrill Bronson)
First we watched a farming demo using draft horses.
A fair amount of farm work is done with horses on this farm.
Grandpa started telling stories about helping with farm work
using horses as a kid. I wished I had taken a recorder of some type.
This is a belt drawn stationary combine. They were
hand feeding the bundles of grain for threshing.
This is what two-horse power looks like from the front....
...and from the side.
There is a section that is sort of like a zoo. (Nice rack!)
Grand-daddy Buffalo
They have over 25 brood mares on the farm.
Then we went to the jousting contest.
We had to climb up the castle towers to get to the other side.
This is the jousting arena.
This is the collection of combat weapons.
Guess who we ran into: Alyssa, Lillian, and Uncle Kieth
First came the bag pipes, followed by the royal court.
Do you know the fairy in blue?
The show started with some young jousters.
We saw this little remote camera during each event.
You can tell he got up close and personal. The
documentary they were filming airs on Dec. 23rd this year.
Then the REAL knights came to due battle.
The Black Knight lost!
He recovered in time for the real jousting.
Let the jousting begin!
They had a display tent.
This is the Flagon with a Dragon!
Next was the Draft Horse competitions.
This is an old time school bus.
The winner of the lady's pleasure class was from Indiana.
The ground where the arena and new bleachers are--- was a field where they cut first crop hay this year!
THAT EVENING WE WENT TO A KENNY ROGERS CONCERT!
We sat near the light platforms.
The stage was a portal one that was specially brought in.
This is a twilight selfie!
Here is Kenny Rogers!! Yah! He looks like Santa Claus!!
He turned 77 in August, but all the drugs he did
in the 60’s have taken their toll on him.
I
was surprised how many of the songs I knew. He is a showman through and
through.
It was fun to be there with Dad
and see how
much he enjoyed it. He knew ALL the songs!!
much he enjoyed it. He knew ALL the songs!!
He sang some I have always liked:
“Through the Years”, “She Believes in Me”,
‘You Decorated My Life”, ‘The Gambler’, and “The Coward of the
County.”
LEVAN HOMESTEAD NEWS:
September Edition
DAD: On the first of September, Mom and I took
Lionel and Linda to the Payson temple for a session between bus runs. Lionel forget his clothes so he had to do
initiatory while we did a session. That
weekend was ou Samoan Cousin Reunion. We
had some new cousins come this year. One
came clear from California. Mom and I
went to the Hale Theater to the performance of “The Diary of Ann Frank” the
next Saturday. Once again it was disturbing to see the injustice that some
people have done to other people. We’ve
been getting ready for winter. First Mom and I harvested the potatoes. She was the tractor driver. I only planted 50 pounds this year, but we
got over 700 back. Our potatoes and
beans did the best this year. We won’t
brag on anything else. Then Mom and I went down to Gunnison to the Satterwhite
Log home company and got a load of log ends to cut up for fire wood. It doesn’t
take long to load up a load of wood down there. We come home and I started
cutting up the wood that didn’t need to be split. Then I got the tractor and split up the rest.
As I was loading the truck by throwing the wood in the back, I bounced a piece
of wood through the back window of the truck. L
Gratefully, our insurance helped with some of it. When it came to cleaning up the glass after
the new window is put in, I think it took me about an hour. That window
shattered into a million pieces. At the
end of the month my brothers started chopping corn and I have helped them a few
days each week for the last couple of weeks.. One thing I have noticed is that
there are a lot of raccoons and skunks in the corn fields. It isn’t pretty if
they go through the chopper. Love ya
all---- Dad
Mom: When I got a text from Laura asking if I had
my family newsletter written, I felt like I had. Now I know why. The big events have been well documented on
our blog. J They include the highlight of the month which
was Janna and Ammon’s visit over Labor Day. ( Payson Cousin Party, Grandpa
Marvin’s apple tree falling over, Samoan Cousin Party, Grandpa Marvin’s 65th
class reunion, a trip to Maple Lake and PCT’s production of Peter Pan.) I will never forget the miracle at the
airport when Janna flew in. Colton and
Malea flew in the same day and with no mortal planning, they arrived 5 minutes
apart. We were able to have a brief
reunion and I was grateful. You can
also check the blog for our trip to the Zoo with the Wilkins, our Sports Day
with the Mellors that included the Hale Theater trip, our outing to the Old
Capital Arts Festival in Richfield, as well as the First Annual Draft Horse
show at Young Living Farms in Mona.
Some things the blog missed
were Ray Crooks funeral, (Dad and I both sang for it,) and our Book Group
meeting here. (I chose “Eve and the Choice Made in Eden” and we had a deep,
wonderful discussion.) The blog did not
mention our amazing Regional Conference.
The talk by Elder Nelson was so amazing, that the Church put it on
line. I can’t remember another regional
conference address being featured. I also taught Gospel Doctrine once this
month, was called and sustained as a primary teacher with the 8-11 year old
girls and gave my very first lesson to the girls. It was on the Holy Ghost. I couldn’t have picked a better topic for a
first lesson. J I also loved sharing riddles with Andrew
Ross the first part of the month. He had
Janna’s old phone for the duration of the service, so I sent him a riddle and a
thought most days. It was a challenge by
the end, but I looked forward to it every day. I also took Ruth Crook to the
Payson Temple this month. It was her first trip to that temple and her first
since Ray’s passing. It was a very sweet
experience. Of course I will never
forget Elder Scott’s passing. Losing three Apostles in less than six months had
never happened previously in my life time.
I truly felt a deep sense of loss when Elder Perry, Elder Packer and
Elder Scott’ each passed on. I loved the
Women’s Conference on Sept. 26th.
Part of the reason is--- that no matter what time zone we are in, we are
all viewing it at the same time and that is a good, unifying feeling. Happy Birthday to Aunt Laura, Andrew, Uncle
Tyler and Uncle Tory! Lots of Love to you all!! Mom
Sister Andrea Kenison:
See andreaapril.blogspot.com
That looks like such a fun day! Jousting is pretty incredible to watch. Glad you got to go and that you ran into Uncle Keith. Kenny Rogers came to one of the casinos down here recently. We didn't get to go though. love all the pictures! :0)
ReplyDeleteOh Man! I am sad we missed it, but the kids were so tired from travelling that none of us would have really enjoyed it. I think we should all do it next year!
ReplyDelete