Thursday, March 14, 2019

Memories from February



My February  Memories
Nothing can beat a production at the Hale Theater starring Jake Suazo.  We loved seeing the Odd Couple this month.  We took Lionel and Linda along and that made it even more delightful.

Darrel went to San Antonio to visit Jake and Malea.  Jake was the planning and a fabulous host.  Malea was still working on her big work project, but she took some time to join them as much as she could.  One thing I learned from the trip is that Jake is a great dad, and a real trooper.  He pulled it all alone.  Meghan was at her sisters for all but one day.  Darrel flew in the day before Valentines and we were all glad to see him.  None was more excited than Hans. 

The YM and YW’s Sweetheart Dinner was on the 9th.  Kent helped get the tri-tip steaks for the dinner.  I made rolls.  Bethany and I invited Kieth and Annette to attend with us. It was a fun evening.

At age 62, there aren’t as many firsts that come along.  But on February 12, I experienced a first.  I picked up someone being paroled from the State Prison.  I picked up Benita Kennedy, met up with a friend for breakfast, went shopping with them, got service for the phone I picked up for Benita, and then brought her back to Nephi to catch a ride to Cedar City with Billy and Rusty.  We were able to get her into a half-way house there called Saving Grace.  It was a very rewarding day.  I think Benita is a strong, basically good person.  She definitely has go power and if she’ll include God, she’ll make it.  I pulled together a care package which included a Book of Mormon and a letter written from my heart. 

I loved seeing all the pictures of the Shirley Family touring Rome.  They experienced the Rome Temple Open House, the Colosseum, St. Peter’s Basilica, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum, the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel.  I think I may have added Rome to my bucket list of places to visit.  I was so thrilled I was able to experience a portion through them. 

We had three funerals within a few weeks of each other.   Alton Draper, was Laurel’s father.  His funeral (Feb. 16) was uplifting because he was a man of integrity, a hard worker, and gave much service in and out of the church.  All his children are a credit to his name.  The next was Boyd Jolley’s funeral.  His was very different.  He died at home alone.  His little dog had starved to death beside him before he was found.  Interestingly, he was found on February 15th.  We worked a temple shift that night.  As I entered the temple, I stopped to put a few names on the prayer roll.  As I stood there, I felt prompted to put his name on.  Between 5:15 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., Boyd’s sister contacted Bishop Hone and asked him to check on Boyd.  The Bishop found him lying on the kitchen floor and called the Sheriff.  The Sheriff’s office responded and contacted Cheyenne, his daughter.  I directed a Levan Town choir and spoke briefly during the open mic segment.  The attendance was small.  Many of his posterity clearly struggle with addictions and have little use for the gospel.  The service lasted less than an hour.  The family chose to have him cremated and buried in Provo.  The third funeral was Marilyn Kozlawski.  She passed on February 24th, but her funeral was March 1st.   Marilyn was one of our grass-roots supporters of the Samoan Cousin Party gathering here at our home each summer. She was Darrel’s 2nd cousin, daughter of Grandfather Thomas Kenison’s youngest ½ sister, Maggie.  Darrel and Marilyn share Captain David Kenison as a grandfather.  It was a true Polynesian funeral.  There was music, singing and a luau.  Marilyn had a troubled, difficult childhood, and her family was influenced by that, but they truly love each other, have learned to forgive, and all currently value the gospel.  I was so grateful we were able to attend.  

I made my first flight out of Provo Airport to go visit Katie and family.  The weather was cool and pleasant. It was a fulfilling, wonderful visit.  Katie taught me to index and I don’t believe there are many more accomplished there than she is.   She, Gabe and Rafe took me to visit their zoo. The cool weather encouraged the animals to be active.  The vegetation was as amazing to me as the animals.  I even rode a camel, just for good measure.  I had intended to stay until Saturday, but when Boyd died I felt a strong need to be at his funeral.  As I pondered my options, having no clue when the funeral was, I felt good about coming home on Thursday, so I changed my flight.  I was a bit confused when it was clear the funeral would not be that week.  Clarity came later.  Mesa flooded the day after I left due to torrential rain.  Many roads were closed and I may not have been able to get to the airport on that day. On Saturday morning, Kaye Mitchell called and asked me to take her R.S. lesson last minute.  I would not have been able to do that had I flown in as first planned.  The lesson was amazing.  The discussion was deep and meaningful.  We discussed Elder Holland’s talk on The Ministry of Reconciliation.  The ladies took the discussion towards its application in divorce.  Lyndsey Martineau sobbed through the whole thing.  It was cleansing, healing tears.  The preparation was good for me and I think for Barbara Anderson, who was there as well. 

I attended the bi-annual first aid training with the others of the transportation department this month.  It was good to be with them.  Although I’ve re-thought any desire to be an activity driver, I turned in my re-hire application.  I made Paul a commitment that I would help, and I will do that.  I suspect I will do very little in the Fall.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! The gospel is definitely a life changing thing as evidence of the funerals you attended.
    I'm glad to hear why you felt good going home early. I was still waiting on that one.

    ReplyDelete