Our girls' team took first at Region the day of the accident.
Boy's cross country team. Two qualified for state.
Boy's cross country team. Two qualified for state.
Steve Peterson was the driver and split second hero.
Officials marveled that there were no casualties and only one
with major injuries considering the magnitude of the accident.
Sept. 6: Bethany got the last district vehicle DONE! I had a trip to Orem with the X-country team
and she drove for me this afternoon.
Darrel came up so we could do a temple session while the team
competed. When I came out of the temple
I had a text from Paula Bateman. It
said, “We heard about the terrible bus accident. We are so sorry. Is there anything we can do?” My heart sunk! I felt nauseated and dizzy. Immediately I concluded the accident had
involved Bethany and that the future of her children was in jeopardy. I called Paul, Bethany and Kim with no
response. Just when I was near despair,
Kim called form the accident scene and reported that Bethany was fine, but being
right behind Bus 990 when it crashed.
She was an eye-witness and was an hour late getting the students
home. The relief I felt was
physical. I was able to get composed
enough to drive the team home from Orem.
That evening we sat up late with Bethany while she worked through the
should haves, could haves, and what if’s of the ordeal. Steve Peterson was the driver and was badly
injured, but he is alive. There will be
months of reconstructive surgery on his face, but he had no broken bones below
the neck and no brain damage. Doctors
operated on him for over 3 hours tonight to remove more than 50 pieces of
shrapnel from his face. L Bethany had a good, healthy
outlook when we parted for bed. She
commented, “These kinds of things are like lightening. They strike and then are gone, never to
strike in that way again. I am including
her report of the accident.
“As I was driving
across the ridge prior to the accident, I noticed a slight, odd movement in the
northbound lane just as I was passing the granary turn off. I soon saw that it
was an SUV pulling trailer house that appeared to be losing control. I
looked at the bus ahead of me hoping the trailer would miss it. In the
amount of time it took me to look from the SUV to Steve’s bus, the trailer
swung out in front of him and exploded on impact. His bus turned at an angle
off the road and went straight off into the field. There was a large cloud of
dust and I could not see it temporarily. By the time the dust settled I had
brought my bus to a stop, turned on my hazards, and was securing my bus. I got
on the radio to call for help and explain what had happened. I heard someone on
the radio asking if anyone could understand what I had said. They asked Candy
if she could hear me. I then dropped the bus mic and reach behind my seat for
my personal phone to call 911. I gave dispatch my name, my bus number, told
them the situation and told them that we needed officers immediately and an
ambulance.
Around this time I
noticed 990's doors open and the kids poured out of the bus. Some of them
seem to be disoriented and ran straight for the highway. Someone who had
stopped, got out of their car and ran out to meet them before they reached the
highway. They encouraged them to go back to the other side of the bus
where all of the other kids were gathering. I heard someone calling for Steve
on the radio and he did not respond. I started talking to my own students,
trying to calm them down. Some of them had family members on 990 and we're very
distraught. A large number of my high school girls and one of my high-school
boys came forward into the elementary kids talking to them and comforting
them. They offered their personal phones so that the others could call
their parents. There were a few cars that began driving around me like they
thought they could get home if they could just get around me. I turned on my
loading lights and open my door in an effort to stop them from coming around me
as the road was completely covered in debris. Seeing the dilemma, a
diesel pulled out into the middle of the road and parked, slowing them down.
I remember talking to
Kim on the radio and she told me to reference my black handbook and follow
District procedure. I looked for a way to get my bus load of kids out of that
situation. I could not find any way to get around or to back up and go another
way. The trailer wreckage was all across the road and Steve was off the west
side of the road. On the right side of the road I could see that there were a
few people driving through the field to get around the accident, but didn't
dare try that option in a loaded bus. I looked at trying to back out and
but I had the diesel parked in the middle of the road behind me. Seeing no way
out, I kept talking to my kids trying to calm them down until officers and an
ambulance arrived. A few people that had stopped, walked up past the bus
and asked what had happened. They asked if everyone was okay.
I couldn't give them a very good answer I had no idea what shape the kids
or Steve was in. I did notice however, that Steve did not get off the bus.
Someone in a dark pick-up drove past in the bar pit on my right going pretty
fast I think they might have been an off duty officer or medical personnel.
Officers stared coming in from my side of the wreck and Levan ambulance pulled
in a short time later.
By then Bonnie had
come in her bus from Mona. She came on my bus and we talked
briefly. Then she pulled up to load the middle school kids that had been
on bus 990. About this time the ambulance drove past on my right, headed
for the Hospital with Steve. Soon after the firemen arrived, I told a
couple of my high school kids not to let anyone off the bus while I ran up to
ask if there was any way they could clear a path for me to get through the
wreckage and get the kids home. I noticed that they were bringing the kids from
990 back towards my bus. At that point I took two of the students onto my
bus. Before leaving the site I had a father come up and take three
kids off my bus. I did not recognize him, but the three kids clearly did
and were thrilled to see him. I signed for the two I had taken from Bus
990. The firefighters had finally
cleared a path. By then, Radawna had arrived in an empty bus. She
loaded the students who had been released by the medical team. Kim helped her
back up a little, and she pulled through the wreckage. Then Kim helped me pull
through the wreckage. I dropped her off next to the fire truck and headed
for Levan. Radawna and I stopped at the construction site a short way down the
highway where they are adding a turn lane, as there were a few parents there
anxiously looking for their children. I let two children off there. Then we
continued to Levan and made our various stops. I was about an hour longer
than on a usual day." Bethany


wow! Reading through that I could really feel the emotions everyone was feeling. It truly was a miracle.
ReplyDelete