AUGUST
JOURNAL HIGHLIGHTS
Aug 1: Thanksgiving point offers all events
admissions for $2 on Tuesday for the month of August. It was a hot day to be at the zoo, so we went
to the Museum of Natural Curiosity. We
took Jake’s kids and met Katie and her kids, and Andrea, on their way home from
Washington.
August 2: Today was our Yuba day! Darrel and Rorie headed for the lake
first. I took Noa and Ephraim down for a
ride first. The girls loved it, but
Ephraim was so mad about the life jacket that it was no fun for him. Noa and I kept Rafe so she and her kids could
have a turn. Miss Aleisha came for
dinner and a visit that evening. She has
a valiant spirit and we enjoy her a lot.
August 4: Darrel headed for Arizona with Katie
and her kids after an early breakfast.
August 5: Jake and Meghan and their children
left this morning. I was a bit teary
because I did enjoy the time with the children and with them, but mostly I knew
what a long trip they had ahead of them and I felt certain they had driven here
for me. Originally, the plan was for me
to fly there and tend the kids. Then
they chose to drive to Utah from San Antonio and fly out from SLC for their
special 10 year anniversary retreat.
That made things so much easier for me, but the cost to all them was
pretty high in some ways.
August 7: Andrea and I finished her costume
for The Addams Family. After our first session it was clear that she needed the
hint of the 1700’s, but unrestricted movement was the main concern. As I pondered on it, I had an idea come to
mind of how to do that. I honestly felt
a little like Nephi, who was asked to build a boat. He was led to do it “not after the manner of
men.” It worked for both of us!
August 8: This morning I ran to the SL airport
to get Bethany and her kids. It was so
good to have them home.
Aug. 10: Darrel and I were able to fit in a
Payson Temple endowment session. We finished
off the evening with dinner at Panda Express and our first experience at the
Scera Shell. We saw “Brigadoon: It was
delightful and very well done.
We had quite an adventure on the way
home. About the time we reached the
freeway, the battery light come on. The alternator had gone out and we knew we
were in trouble. We traveled with little
conversation as we watched the headlights get dimmer and dimmer. At the first Nephi exit the engine coughed so
Darrel turned off the headlights in an effort to keep the motor running until
we could get to the next exit. Flacking
down the freeway on a moonless night at 65-70 miles an hour without headlights
is a little unnerving. It certainly took
care of any drowsiness we might have had.
To my dismay, Darrel didn’t pull off the 2nd Nephi exit, but
kept going. I asked, “What are you
doing?” He said that he felt like if we
could make it to the Texaco at the last exit, we could be okay. That stretch of road lasted longer than any
trip I remember making on it. When we
pulled into the Texaco, we looked up and there was Zac Rosquist, a former bus
student, and resident of Levan. With a
quick conversation, he agreed to take us home.
We were so grateful because it was after 11:00 o’clock and we really
didn’t have anyone who could rescue us.
Bethany was home, but really couldn’t leave the kids sleeping or awake
them to drag them out of bed. I ended up
sending a note to Zac with tickets to the movie. He is a good boy, but has had little
religious training. I wanted him to know
that he was the answer to our prayers.
His decision to drive to Nephi that late to fuel his truck was no
coincidence.
August 19: Today was Janna’s 39th
birthday! There is no way to express the blessing she has been and continues to
be to our whole family. It tugs at my
heart for her to be so far away, but I know they have a good life there and I
know she and Scott are a strong couple.
Darrel and I ran north to put a new part in Anna’s oven. She was better than in recent visits. She actually joined in the conversation and
made some typical, witty, Grandma Anna comments.
August 20: Steve Bateman shared a powerful
message on the Atonement today. He
referred to it as a shock-absorber for life’s most difficult events allowing us
to be of good cheer and press forward in faith, hope and optimism, knowing that
God is there to direct, strengthen and comfort, and that things will get
better. Our home teachers came right
after the block. When they arrived, Sarah-Jane asked her mom out of the blue if
she could have them help Grandpa give her a blessing. It was a surprise and delight to us all. The blessing was sweet and she beamed
afterwards.
August 22: Today was the first day of
school. I have one new student who could
prove to make it a long year. His name
is Lonnie. I chatted with Katie this evening.
She is struggling as I sensed that she was. I am not certain how to help. Arizona is not home yet, although they are in
their new house. She is a strong person
and has never been a quitter, so I know she will work through this, but I know
to some degree where she is and I would like to rescue her. We found out today the Colton and Malea’s
baby is a little boy. It has been so
heart -warming to watch them savor every detail of this pregnancy. They know it is a gift and a miracle.
August 27: Andrea sang in Ron and MaryLynn’s
ward. Darrel and I were there to support
her. I have secretly hoped to have a
daughter with the voice of an angel and there is no doubt that righteous desire
was granted in our tenth child.
I love your month in review posts!
ReplyDelete